The Foundation’s activities matter to the public
We have a legal obligation to demonstrate that we are funding activities in accordance with our Articles of Association. We are therefore accountable to our Board of Directors and are responsible to ensure transparency to the general public.
Analysis is pivotal for accountability and for learning
Delivering insight for accountability requires analysis based on extensive and timely data collection. Analysis stimulates thoughts for learning used for improving grant instruments or developing new instruments for improving the allocation of funds. Questions of interest to answer include whether the outcomes of the grant instrument activities meet the objectives set but also whether other unintended or unconsidered outcomes occur.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation’s vision is to contribute significantly to research and development that improves the lives of people and the sustainability of society.
Impact assessment objective
To employ best practice to monitor and assess the contribution of the Foundation’s activities in society to ensure that the Foundation is approaching its vision.
Key themes of impact assessment
- From grant recipients: Researchfish®, Foundgood, surveys and other sources
- External national and international databases
- Controlling of reporting
- The physical and virtual Data Warehouse
- Data quality assurance
- Generate applicable data
- Make data available to internal (e.g. Deep Dives) and external use
- Annual Grant Report
- Bi-annual Grant Reports
- Compliance reporting to authorities
- CSR in Annual Report
- Research Centres (4 centres)
- Steno Diabetes Centres (5 centres)
- Challenge Programme (35-50 centres)
- BII, LIFE, Danish Diabetes Academy
- Societal impact of NNF Grants (Impact Report 201X)
- Highlights for 201X
- NNF financing of research in Denmark
- Insight analyses and knowledge mappings (e.g. hot spots, networks, business areas and country reports)
- Report on Danish universities
- Analytical projects that create new knowledge on the impact of grant-giving practices
- Evaluations to support decisions on new grants and development of existing grant types
- Pre-evaluation of proposals in project pipeline
- Terms-of-references and implementation
- Quality controls